In fact, I was really excited while writing this recipe. Because I will share with you the original method of making Alexandrian Hawawshi.
before we start, let me give you some interesting information about this famous recipe in Egypt, especially the wonderful city of Alexandria.
What is Hawawshi?
Generally, Hawawshi is a bread stuffed with minced meat and Egyptian spices, and it is cooked either on the stove or inside the oven.
What is the origin of the hawawshi?
Al-Hawashi is an authentic Egyptian recipe that spread in Egypt starting in 1972.
The first to cook it was an Egyptian butcher called Muhammad Hawawash. That is why this recipe was named after his name and since then, the recipe for Hawawshi is served in Egyptian homes and mostly served with Egyptian Green Salad and tahini sauce.
What are the two types of Hawawshi?
Egyptian hashish is of two types.
The Alexandrian and is prepared by making dough for bread and stuffing the meat inside it, adding spices, cheese, and some vegetables, then entering the oven and cooking all the ingredients together
The Egyptian hawawshi, which is pita bread stuffed with minced meat and spices is added to it, and it is often cooked on the stove.
Today I will share with you how to make Alexandrian Hawawshi.
Authentic Hawawshi Iskandarani (Alexandrian Hawawshi) Recipe
- Meat grinder
- big bowl
- silicone spoon
- 1 tablespoon (11 grams) yeast
- 2 tablespoons (20 grams) sugar
- 1 .1/2 teaspoons (7 grams) salt
- ½ cup (100 ml) oil
- 4 and a half cup all-purpose flour according to the needs of the dough
- 1 .1/2 cup (300 ml) of milk or warm water for kneading
- 4 tablespoons (100 grams) yogurt
- 1 teaspoon (5 grams) baking powder
- Half kilo minced lamb
- Half kilo ground beef
- 3 large onions (300 grams)
- Hot red and green pepper, to taste
- green pepper
- 4 garlic cloves
- 1 tablespoon of Hawawshi spices
- black pepper
- Half teaspoon Chinese kebab "optional"
- In a large bowl, put the milk, sugar and yeast, stir well, then cover the bowl and let the yeast react.
- After ten minutes have passed, add a teaspoon of salt and a teaspoon of baking powder (the baking powder will help you get a fluffy and wonderful hawawshi dough)
- Add 4 tablespoons of yoghurt (the yoghurt should be warm)
- Add the flour, then start stirring
- The result after flipping the dough
- Add half the amount of oil and start flipping the dough
- Add half of the dough and keep kneading
- Cover the dough and let it ferment for half an hour
- After half an hour, press the dough twice to get the air out
- Divide the dough into equal pieces (the weight of the piece is about 190 grams)
- Shape the dough into a ball and then grease it with oil (the plate in which you will put the dough must be greased with oil), then cover the dough and leave it for another 30 minutes
- Put the minced lamb and beef in a large bowl, then add the onions and spices (black pepper, Chinese kibbeh, salt and Hawawshi spices – optional).
- Add vegetables (red peppers, greens, parsley)
- Put all the above ingredients in a meat grinder and chop it once
- Roll out the dough (you can use flour or oil, but oil is preferable to make it easier – use a little oil) Divide each dough ball in half (half for the base and half for the surface).
- Put the meat and spread it well on the cheese (about 200 grams of meat)
- Cover the meat with the other half of the dough ball
- Close the dough and start from the bottom part first (the bottom part closes on the top)
- Grease the surface of the hawawshi with a little ghee
- Garnish the Alexandrian hawawshi with a little sesame and nigella, if any
- In a preheated oven, put the hawawshi at 270 degrees for 10 minutes
- Take the hawawshi out of the oven and put it on a serving plate
Resouce : Homemade Egyptian Hawawshi