Hawawshi is one of the most famous Egyptian dishes and recipes.
In Egypt, Egyptians eat hawawshi in two ways, either Alexandrian hawawshi or my country hawawshi
We presented you with the way to make the Alexandrian Hawawshi in a previous recipe (you can view it from here) Today, we will introduce you to the Egyptian way to make baladi hawawshi
What distinguishes the Hawawshi Baladi from the Alexandrian is that the minced meat is placed in bread directly, unlike the Alexandrian hawawshi, which has a special dough
Hawawshi Baladi can be prepared with two types of bread (pita bread or Arabic bread).
The baladi hawawshi is served with the baladi salad or the green salad, as well as with tahini
The times of eating hawawshi among the Egyptians
Hawawshi is a meal that is suitable for all meals because it contains almost everything you may need in a meal, but if you want to eat hawawshi like the Egyptians, it is eaten for dinner
What will you put on the table with the hawawshi?
As we mentioned before, the hawawshi is a complete meal, but if you wish, you can add it with French fries and soda water.
Whic meat you should use for hawawshi ?
Hawawshi is one of the foods that is somewhat characterized by fat-filled meat, although it is quick to prepare, so it is preferable to use any type of meat full of fat, such as Chuck
Ingrediants & Instructions
Egyptian Hawawshi Baladi Recipe With Pics
Egyptian Hawawshi Baladi Recipe
- cooking pan
- Large Bowl
- 1 kilo minced meat I used half the amount of lamb
- 4 onions chopped
- 6 Pita bread
- 1 Mozzarella cheese as desired
- 4 cloves garlic
- 4 Green hot pepper chopped
- 1 parsley chopped
- 2 tablespoons sweet red pepper paste
- 1 pinch salt
- 1 pinch black pepper
- 1 A large spoonful of Hawawshi spices Or arabic spices if you couldn't find Hawawshi spices
- Half teaspoon Chinese kibbeh
- 3 tablespoons oilghee
- In a large bowl, put the onions and spices (Chinese kibbeh – salt – black pepper – spices)
- Mix the spices well with the onions
- Add chopped hot pepper, red pepper paste and parsley
- Stir the mixture well
- Add the meat and mix it very well with the spices and onions
- Shape the meat into balls (each ball is about 150 grams)
- open the pita bread like this
- Roll the meatballs into the pita bread
- Add as much mozzarella cheese as you like
- Grease the hawawshi with a little ghee or oil
- In a pre-heated frying pan, put the hawawshi and press it (so that it is crispy and the meat is well distributed)
- When the hawawshi begins to reach the crunchiness (about two to three minutes)
- Divide the hawawshi loaf into four parts and place on a serving plate
Did you know that Saudi Arabia is home to some of the most delicious food in the world? Saudi Arabia is a melting pot of different cultures and flavors. There are many dishes that are...
Morocco, a place that is both ancient and modern. It's cuisine, one of the most diverse in the world. You'll find everything from couscous to tajines, tabouleh to pastilla. With so many great dishes...