The typical Arabic food varies from country to country. For example, the typical Arabic food in Egypt is different from what you would find in Iraq or Syria. In this article, we will discuss some of the most popular dishes that vary between countries and regions.
1) The typical Arabic food in Egypt includes a lot of vegetarian dishes, such as falafel and taamiya while beef is a more common meat dish found on menus across Lebanon and Syria.
2) Popular foods include hummus, tabouli salad made with parsley, bulgur wheat, olive oil & lemon juice; baba ghanoush which is mashed eggplant mixed with tahini sauce;
Typical Egyptian Food.
As I’m Egyptian I will share with you a list of the most popular food in Egypt with a brief description about it.
- Baba Ghanoush: A dish made of pureed eggplant, tahini sauce, garlic, and lemon juice. It is usually eaten with pita bread as an appetizer.
- Baklava: A dessert pastry made from layers of filo dough filled with nuts and honey.
- Beef Shawarma: Shredded beef or lamb that is marinated in a mixture of spices and then roasted on a vertical spit. It is served wrapped in pita bread with pickles, tomatoes, and onions.
- Taamiya : Fried balls or patties made from , fava beans, or both mixed together. They are often served as part of a meze or as part of a sandwich.
- Kebab: Cubes of meat (usually lamb, beef, or chicken) that are marinated in spices and then grilled. It can be served on a plate with rice and salad, or it can be wrapped in pita bread with lettuce, tomatoes, and onions.
- Moussaka: A dish made from layers of sliced eggplant, ground beef or lamb, tomato sauce, and béchamel sauce.
- Molokhia: A dish made from the jute plant (Corchorus olitorius) that is cooked in broth and spices. It usually has a dark green color.
- Fatteh – a hearty dish made with pieces of pita bread, chickpeas, yogurt sauce and a variety of toppings like pine nuts, fried onions and sumac
- Okra: Green pods that are eaten when it’s young and cocked in two ways either with tomato sauce or with just a meat broth
- Olive Oil: Olive oil is one of Egypt’s main cooking oils and can be found on every table for home use, commercial use, and olive oil exports worldwide.
- Pita Bread: Pita bread is a type of leavened flatbread baked from wheat flour,
- Mahshi is typical Arabic food and is popular in Egypt. It is made of vine leaves stuffed with rice, minced meat, onions, tomatoes, and spices.
- koshari is typical Arabic food and is popular in Egypt. It is made of rice, lentils, macaroni, and fried onions.
- Ful Medames fava beans cooked with spices and served as a breakfast dish.
Typical Lebanese Food.
The Lebanese cuisine is temps with a passion for garlic and onions. Most of the famous dishes in Lebanon depend on garlic as a main ingredient in the recipe.
- Falafel – a deep-fried ball or patty of ground chickpeas, usually served inside pita bread with tahini sauce and vegetables such as tomatoes and lettuce.
- Kafta – meatballs made from ground beef or lamb that is mixed with parsley and onions then grilled on skewers over charcoal (traditionally). It’s very popular in the Levant region to prepare for large gatherings, especially during Ramadan.
- Shawarma – this is typically made with lamb, beef, or chicken that has been slow-roasted on a vertical spit then shaved off into thin pieces and served in either pita bread wrap or plate.
- Hummus – a dip or spread made from mashed cooked chickpeas, tahini sauce (made from ground sesame seeds), olive oil, lemon juice, garlic, and salt. It is also one of the most popular mezze dishes and can be eaten as part of a main meal or appetizer.
- Tabbouleh – parsley salad with bulgur wheat, tomatoes, onions & various seasonings. A healthy salad that’s refreshing and flavorful.
- Kibbeh – ground beef or lamb mixed with bulgur, onion & pine nuts then deep-fried in olive oil.
- Shish Tawouk – marinated chicken skewers that is usually grilled but can be baked too.
- Fattoush – a typical Levant salad made with toasted pita bread, mixed greens, and various seasonings including sumac powder (made from crushed sour berries), salt and pepper.
- Kaak – ring-shaped bread that can be stuffed or topped with sesame seeds then baked before serving.
- Znoud El Sit: this typical Arabic dessert is made of cooked semolina mixed with eggs and sugar & topped with cinnamon.
Typical Syrian Food
- Moutabal: it’s an eggplant dip that has its origins in Turkey but adopted by Syrians as their own! This typical Syrian food includes grilled eggplants seasoned to perfection with tahini paste & olive oil served on pita bread alongside olives
- Labneh: labneh is an incredibly versatile cheese dip/spread that originates the Middle East
- Makdous – pickled baby eggplant stuffed with walnuts, garlic, and olive oil. “khudra” is typical of Aleppo city in northern Syria. It is a popular appetizer served as a mezze. The word khudra means delicious in the Syrian dialect of Arabic
- Aleppo Mamounia is a typical Arabic dish that is popular in Syria. It is made of chicken, almonds, and spices.
- basmishkat is a typical Syrian dish made of mutton or beef, rice, onions, and tomatoes.
- Syrian kibbeh is one of the most popular Arabic foods. It is a dish made from bulgur, minced onions, and ground beef or lamb. The mixture is then formed into balls or patties, which are then deep-fried. Kibbeh can also be made with fish, poultry, or vegetables.
Typical Iraqi Food.
Masgouf, a grilled fish that is typically served whole.
dolma is a popular dish in Iraq, which is made of grape leaves stuffed with rice, meat, and spices.
Al-Ghass is the most popular Iraq dish, which is made of chicken wings and rice
Al-Basha is a dish in Iraq that is made of beef legs & head meat of lamb, onions, and tomatoes. It is usually served with bread or pita.
The Arabic dishes are one of the best in the world. their food is full of flavor and spices that will make your taste buds explode.
Egyptian cuisine is a mix of Mediterranean, African, Arab, Ottoman, and Indian flavors. Some popular Egyptian dishes include ful medames ( fava beans), kushari (rice, lentils & macaroni), ta’amiya (falafel), and baklava.
Iraqi cuisine is a unique blend of Arab and Iranian flavors.
Lebanon cuisine is known for its unique, sophisticated, and delicate dishes with various choices of tastes.
The typical Lebanese cuisine is rich in flavors due to slight French influence on it; traditional recipes are altered by contact with new ingredients during history which added many variations to their taste.
Did you know that Saudi Arabia is home to some of the most delicious food in the world? Saudi Arabia is a melting pot of different cultures and flavors. There are many dishes that are...
Morocco, a place that is both ancient and modern. It's cuisine, one of the most diverse in the world. You'll find everything from couscous to tajines, tabouleh to pastilla. With so many great dishes...